Tuesday 5 January 2010

Slip and slide.

Amor Fati. 

It is a term used by Nietzsche to symbolise the love of ones fate. According to Nietzsche it is the formula for all human greatness and is the attitude of viewing everything that happens in life, good or bad, pleasure and pain, suffering, loss, joy, happiness as good. In Judaism it is the concept of Gam Zeh Letovah (this too is for the best - גם זה לטובה).  It is a difficult path to travel. It requires faith and trust and an acceptance that to some of us feels like a surrendering. I have never felt comfortable waving the white flag; my instincts are always to fight. But fighting usually leads to even more violence and in violence there are no winners. So, I let go. I place my faith in the choices that I have made, whether they are the right decisions or whether they are horrible mistakes. Because they are what I needed to choose at that time and they will take me where I need to be. When we take the first steps, when we act (regardless of the rightness of that act), everything becomes clearer and the second and third step become visible. I see my second and third step. I still have no idea how to reach them but at least I now know where they are.






(My Name is Nobody)

No comments:

Post a Comment